Thursday, December 2, 2010

So, you still live in LA?

I've been thinking about this bizarre phenomenon ever since I got back from my trip home for Thanksgiving.

Without fail, whenever relatives or random acquaintances strike up a conversation with me outside of this state there seems to be a theme.  That theme lies in their to desire to have me defend why California is so fucked up.

A sample conversation follows:

Aunt: So you still live in LA?

Me: Yep.

Aunt: So why is your state going bankrupt?  Why can't they figure it out?

On principle I understand why California as an entity is intriguing for people who don't live here.  I also get that the politics of this state are fascinating.  We'll put those thoughts in the "seemingly rational" pile.  What I don't understand is why it's assumed that I am expected to a) speak on behalf of 36 million people who live here or b) have any insight into the situation at all. ("irrational" pile thoughts)

Given the fact that I've only lived here for a few years it's like asking me to defend the cereal selection at Target because I shopped there for 60 minutes.



I don't know where one makes the insane leap of logic that a citizen of a body of land is also an expert on that land?  By that logic I should walk around Boston and ask people "tell me everything you know about Paul Revere."

And lest you think I'm some apathetic loser, enclosed is a list of things that I am more of an authority on than Cali politics:

  • Throwing up in a moving vehicle
  • Buying a quarter life crises convertible
  • The Foo Fighters concert at Wembley
  • The laws that govern happy hour in Boston (hint: there is no happy hour in Boston)
  • Wine (for obvious reasons)
  • Big ten football
  • Winning the hearts and minds of 40 year old executives
  • American Airlines exit aisle seats
  • Homemade pumpkin spiced lattes!
  • Groupies of The Killers (more on that later)

1 comment:

  1. This whole thing is funny because it is totally true. and this is my fav line because while in Boston, Im pretty sure I asked you everything about everything. but thats because you're resourceful and I figured by then you would have enticed the mayor and help him hostage for all his fun facts :-)

    I don't know where one makes the insane leap of logic that a citizen of a body of land is also an expert on that land? By that logic I should walk around Boston and ask people "tell me everything you know about Paul Revere."

    ReplyDelete