Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Human Experience

You have two choices.

1) Everything you have ever experienced (emotionally) was felt by a mass majority of people.  Each heartbreaking experience could basically be understood by the strangers sitting next to you on public transit.  When you begin the start of a painful story, generations of people could finish the ending because it seemed so familiar to them.

2) All of the key moments of your life were 100% unique.  Your closest friends could not even fathom what you've been through.  There isn't a message board for your experience.  You are essentially alone in your human experience.

What would you choose?



2 comments:

  1. Knowing myself and how important it is to me to be able to connect to at least my close friends, I have to say I'd go with A. While I imagine it might make my life seem trite and cliched to others (assuming I alone am affected by this condition), I might still prefer that to the total isolation of the latter option.

    I might also add that the existence of most people is already pretty close to A. It's not like you can't find someone who's gone through almost anything you can imagine from your circle already, if you trust them enough to share that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I choose #2... but I think you already knew that

    ReplyDelete